Phlebotomy (Venepuncture) Course Content:
This is an update course which aims to provide practitioners working in nursing homes knowledge and skills on venepuncture (drawing up bloods) for investigation purposes.
The course is based on the national recommended guidelines and the WHO policy in drawing up of bloods for adults.
- Anatomy and physiology of the blood vessels
- Legal and professional responsibilities
- Accountability and consent
- Indications and contra-indications of venepuncture
- Infection control
- Complications and their management
- Recommended equipment for the procedure
- Step-by-step practical demonstration (hand mannequin)
- Management of blood spillage and adverse incidents
- Practical demonstration – one-to-one session
- Competency Assessment Document – signing off